During your time at UNCA, you will be in “Good Academic Standing” as long as your cumulative and term GPA is at or above a 2.0, and you maintain a 67% completion ratio each semester.
Occasionally, you might experience personal or academic hardships that result in a lower GPA. In these instances, you will be on “Academic Warning” and placed into the Academic Success Program (ASP). ASP is a multi-tiered system designed to help your GPA recover and maintain your progress toward academic success. Students who successfully complete ASP have better academic outcomes than their peers who do not.
You can be placed on Academic Warning if:
- Your semester GPA drops below a 2.0, or
- Your cumulative GPA drops below a 2.0, or
- Your completion ratio (the number of earned hours divided by the number of attempted hours), either for the semester or cumulative, is less than 67%.
To regain Good Academic Standing, you must meet all the following requirements:
- Earn at least a 2.25 semester GPA, and
- Have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA, and
- Successfully complete at least 70% of your semester classes
Academic Success Program:
- There are several variations of the academic success program. You will be placed in one based on the context of your academic situation. However, all variations aim to help you feel supported and be successful during your semester. Details will be sent to you as we get closer to the start of the semester.
- Overview: Discussion of topics related to academic success and the challenges that might impede a student’s path to graduation. Students will reflect on their own educational history, identifying strengths and weaknesses, and work on strategies and skills to help improve academic performance and their overall educational experience.
FAQs about ASP:
- Can I take more than 15 hours? Yes. However, we strongly suggest taking a course load that best sets you up for a successful semester and to regain Good Standing.
- When will I receive more information about ASP and my tier? An email will be sent to you with details in the month before the semester begins.
- Can I move into a different tier? You are welcome to ask! Please speak with your assigned Coach about this when you hear from them. We will review your case and make a determination.
- How will this affect my financial aid? Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for any questions regarding your scholarships or loans. Their contact information can be found here.