During your time at UNCA, you will be in “Good Academic Standing” as long as your cumulative and term GPA is at or above a 2.0, and you maintain a 67% completion ratio each semester.
Occasionally, you might experience personal or academic hardships that result in a lower GPA. In these instances, you will be on “Academic Warning” and placed into the Academic Success Program (ASP). ASP is a multi-tiered system designed to help your GPA recover and maintain your progress toward academic success. Students who successfully complete ASP have better academic outcomes than their peers who do not.
You can be placed on Academic Warning if:
- Your semester GPA drops below a 2.0, or
- Your cumulative GPA drops below a 2.0, or
- Your completion ratio (the number of your earned hours divided by the number of your attempted hours), either for the semester or cumulative, is less than 67%.
To regain Good Academic Standing, you must meet all the following requirements:
- Earn at least a 2.25 semester GPA, and
- Have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA, and
- Successfully complete at least 70% of your semester classes
Depending on the context of your academic situation, you will be placed into one of the following tiers while on Academic Warning:
- You will be required to enroll in and complete LA 150 in the subsequent major semester (Fall or Spring). LA 150 is a one-on-one, 1-credit course. You will be assigned an Academic Success Coach and together work towards a successful student experience.
- End Goal: High level of support, facilitated growth as a student/study habits, guide towards confidence/competence, reflection, intrinsic motivation.
- You are required to enroll in and complete LA 150 in the subsequent major semester (Fall or Spring). LA 150 is a one-on-one, 1-credit course. You will be assigned an Academic Success Coach and together work towards a successful student experience.
- End Goal: Medium level of support, options to learn what you self-identity as needing help with, ownership over growth, improved tool box/coping skills.
- You will be assigned an Academic Success Coach to meet with as you work towards regaining Good Academic Standing.
- End Goal: Ownership over development, support offered, help getting back on track
FAQs about ASP:
- Can I take more than 15 hours? Yes. However, we strongly suggest taking a course load that best sets you up for a successful semester and to regain Good Standing.
- Can I move into a different tier? You are welcome to ask! Please speak with your assigned Coach about this when you hear from them. We will review your case and make a determination.
- How will this affect my financial aid? Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for any questions regarding your scholarships or loans. Their contact information can be found here.