UNCA uses Academic Alerts as part of our student success and support efforts.
Academic alerts provide students with timely feedback about their performance in class beyond the regular assessment. Alerts can serve as an indicator to students and their support system that action is needed to stay on track or get back on track in a class. They allow students to respond and increase the likelihood of positive academic outcomes.
What happens if you receive an academic alert:
- You’ll receive outreach from a member of your support network (academic advisor, student success specialist, academic success coach, associate director of advising, director of student success) sharing concerns that one or more of your faculty members have shared by entering an academic alert.
- Ideally, this should not be the first time that you are made aware of a concern. However, receiving outreach about an academic alert invites you to tap into the full suite of support resources available at UNCA.
- At any point in the semester, you can meet with your professor to ensure you understand the expectations of the course and discuss the behavior(s) that led to the academic alert.
- The professor can suggest a plan for your academic progress or might discuss your options if it is no longer possible for you to pass the class.
- Students are expected to take an active role in responding to Academic Alerts outreach. You should take Alert outreach as a signal to connect to relevant support services and/or to your support network to receive help with connecting to those services.
It is in your best interest to respond to academic alert outreach as quickly as possible, as students who do so are more likely to earn credit for the course.
Where to go for support:
There are several resources on campus that you can use to ensure strong academic performance. Remember to take advantage of the services provided at the Health & Counseling Center and at the Office of Accessibility to discuss your situation and implement strategies for improvement.
Also, consider taking advantage of the opportunities listed below–free services that are provided to support you in your quest for academic success!