By the 5th week of each semester, UNCA faculty members are asked to submit academic alerts for their 100-level classes. Please note, however, that professors may choose to submit an alert at any point in the semester if they feel like you are struggling in a class.
Academic alerts tell our advising staff whether you are doing well in your classes, or if you might be experiencing some challenges (e.g., attendance problems, missing assignments, academic difficulty, etc.).
What happens if you receive an academic alert:
- When a faculty member submits an academic alert that expresses a concern, you will receive an email from the Academic Success Center that will include a Google Form that you will need to complete.
- The Academic Success Center will place a hold on your account that will remain in place until you complete the form.
- Your responses on this form will be shared with your instructor and advising staff.
- At any point during this time, you can meet with your professor to ensure you understand the expectations of the course and discuss the behavior(s) that led to the alert.
- The professor can suggest a plan for your academic progress or might discuss your options if it is no longer possible for you to pass the class.
It is in your best interest to complete the academic alert process quickly, as students who do so are more likely to earn credit for the course.
Failure to complete the academic alert process will result in the registration hold remaining on your account. You will not be able to schedule classes for the following semester unless this process is completed.
If you receive an academic alert in two or more courses, you will be required to meet with an advisor in the Academic Success Center.
Where to go for support:
There are several resources on campus that you can use to ensure strong academic performance. Remember to take advantage of the services provided at the Health & Counseling Center and at the Office of Academic Accessibility to discuss your situation and implement strategies for improvement.
Also, consider taking advantage of the opportunities listed below–free services that are provided to support you in your quest for academic success!