International Students

International Student Advising

If you are a student on a F-1 visa or J-1 visa, in addition to your faculty advisor, you will also be working with C. Riz in the Academic Success Center. You can make an appointment with them here.

Please report any of the following changes within 10 days:

  • Address/Phone number/ Name Changes
  • Change of major/minor/program of study
  • Program end date
  • Academic Probation


Work/Employment in USA

Any paid job/internship on or off campus will require a Social Security number prior to employment begins. Students will need a job offer letter in order to apply for a Social Security number in Buncombe County. Unpaid internships or volunteer experiences will not require a social security number.

According to the US Federal Regulations, “work” is described as any paid/unpaid internship, volunteer experience, or job. Below is information about the types of work and the regulations for each on-campus or off-campus.

  • On campus
    • International students are allowed to work on campus for up to 20 hours while school is in session and 40 hours when school is not in session.
    • On campus work does not need to be related to your program of study.
    • No authorization is required from the international student advisor. (You will need a Social Security Number)
  • Off campus
    • Any off-campus volunteer/ paid or unpaid internship / job is considered work with the United States Federal Government and will require authorization from the international student advisor, otherwise known as Curriculum Practical Training (CPT).
    • This must be related to your program of study.
    • If a student has 12+ months of full time CPT, they are not eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) post graduation.
    • Please contact the international student advisor for authorization.


Your F-1 Student visa can expire while you are in the USA.  If you leave the USA and your visa is expired, you will need to renew the visa. Additional costs and time may be associated with this.  For example, if you graduate and your visa expires but you stay in the USA

Within the USA

Students can travel within the USA on their F-1 Student Visa. It is recommended that you carry your I-20 and passport but not required. If your visa is expired, as long as you do not leave the USA and you maintain compliance with SEVIS this is acceptable.

Outside the USA

If your visa or passport is expired and you travel outside the USA you will have issues returning and will need to make sure you renew them. Contact your home countries embassy for information on how to do this.

  • MUST have a non-expired visa and passport
  • MUST have an updated travel signature on your I-20 (signatures are valid for one calendar year)